RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Wilderness 300FQS. The electrician…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Wilderness 300FQS. The electrician ran a 220 line to it and now all my appliances are dead. Wondering what the next step should be. Pretty sure my converter is dead also because it is no longer charging my battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Tested battery, it is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Doing it myself. First figured out the voltage problem. Have gotten correct volt coming in now. Tested all receptacles, replaced GFCI, tested appliances-seems fridge not cooling but inside light comes on, microwave no longer working, pump no longer working, vacuum that was plugged in not working. Ac & water heater are working. After getting correct voltage recharged battery and left certain in systems running to see if it would stayed charged but within a few hours no longer charged

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: RV
9/22/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Give me several mins to type a response, lots to cover.

220 can be very damaging to the appliances, the power converter, TV's, microwave etc can all get damaged from 220.

When you plug into power the power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and make the DC voltage, they do not handle 220 very well and most times it will fry the converter. You do want to check near the battery for a tripped breaker, below is a picture. Most have a tiny tab on them that will pop out when they trip. Sometimes on the charge line from the converter they will use one. As a general rule it would be 18" from the battery. The voltage on each post to chassis ground should be the same on each post if you see any.

The converter will be part of the main breaker panel OR stand alone and plug into an outlet. The stand alone style is about the size of a shoe box and it can be under the fridge, stove, in back of the breaker panel or even outside near the batteries. Hard for me to say exact location because location moves year to year and floor plan to floor plan. The stand alone style will normally have two fuses on the backside., IF you have AC voltage going into it and the large supply cables have low voltage it is bad.

Normally the circuit board on the fridge will have two fuses, one for DC power or what allows it to turn on and one for AC power. The microwave normally will also have a fuse inside of it in case that is not working. Many of your appliances require DC voltage to work even though they also operate on AC power. The DC voltage is needed for the boards.

I would get the DC voltage under control and then see what appliances are not working in the RV....

Hope this helps some, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.... Robert

I will not be able to check those things until the next week or so. I've checked the converter, do you have a suggestion for replacement?

You need to stick with the same amp rating as the current one. Progressive Dynamics is a good choice, they make both the built in and stand alone ones. Normally the converter model number will have the rating ending with the numbers so a 8955 (for example) would be a 55 amp converter, 45 45 amp etc....

Hope this has helped.

You can still respond back if needed, please keep in mind I only get credit when you select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 8 months ago

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Robert