RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a brand new trailer with a dometic roof a/c. it

Customer Question
I have a brand...

I have a brand new trailer with a dometic roof a/c. it starts up and runs for a couple minutes after the compressor kicks in then blows the breaker. i have tried it on several dedicated 20 amp outlets and all the same. How many amps do these generally draw. compressor kick in should be the most right?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Surprisingly no dometic book with the

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2017 Xby Forest River

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not much other than trying outlets. It worked fine on 30 amp hookup last weekend

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO, Just wondering why it blows a 20 amp circuit after its running awhile.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
9/21/2017
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 11 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The compressor kick in is usually the most.I use a home outlet with 30 amps as well as my generator which has a 30 amp breaker.Depending on the size of the ac unit you could be looking at a peak of 20 amp pulls with ac engagement intermittently especially when it starts to heat up.I have seen this several times before on the larger 12,000 to 18,000 btu units.

Most likely the breaker is to small if you are speaking of a house breaker or generator breaker and you would need to run off a larger breaker and wiring for that breaker.

Now if this is the breaker built into rv/camper then your ac unit is drawing to much power causing this issue and you need it checked into.You may have a faulty start up capacitor.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Ok It seems strange that it blows the 20 amp breaker and not the camper's. my previous camper never blew at home or campsites

If it is your house breaker when plugged in I had the same issue.It made no sense to me as I could run other 20 amp components with no issues but I just upgraded wiring and breaker to resolve it.It may be that your 20 amp house breaker is weak needing replaced.I did that here at home but never tried it after to see if it worked.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete