RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Is it advised to remove the complete awning assembly when…

Customer Question
Is it advised to...

Is it advised to remove the complete awning assembly when replacing the motor?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

I have a Bighorn fifth wheel with a 20 foot Dometic retractible electric awning with a bad motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

Is it best to remove the complete awning from the unit and do the work on the bench?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your RV?

2014 Bighorn fifth wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, awning wouldn't retract. Disconnected shocks and rolled up by hand. Motor initially worked after relieving pressure but shortly after only got clicks, like a bad solenoid

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Disconnected all from motor side of awning, (right side), but couldn't figure out how to remove the motor. Do I disconnect from the left side?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
9/19/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 10 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

No, that is not necesaary. As long as you can support the end on a ladder while you work on it. Much easier that way. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.