RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Truimph and have it plugged in to

power but it doesn't seem...
I have a 2004 Fleetwood Truimph and have it plugged in to power but it doesn't seem to be switching and my batteries are running dead all the time. what could be going on? Thanks, Preston
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Yes I took them out and tested them which showed good and charged them before I put them back in
JA: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just realized I may have an issue so I tested my power source and the breaker box in the trailer and im getting good power to that point
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i guess i assumed when you plugged in the camper to outside power i thought it would automatically switch. Is that not right?
9/19/2017
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Does your microwave work while you are plugged in?

When you plug in, nothing should "switch". I am not sure what you mean by "automatically switching". Could you please explain what you are trying to say in more detail?

i have three power sources electricity from outside source, batteries, and propane. When you are plugged in to electricity from an outside power source shouldn't most everything run of that and keep your batteries charged?
it doesn't seem to be running off the electricity and my batteries are being drained

Is your microwave working when you are plugged in?

Ok, thank you.

This is going to be a bit lengthy, and will take me a few minutes to type, so please bear with me.

ok

You have 2 power sources in your RV - the 120V AC system, and the 12V DC system.

Propane is not a power source, it is a fuel.

Appliances that have to have 120 volts are your microwave, the air conditioner, TV, refrigerator if on electric, water heater if on electric, possibly some lights.

Appliances that have to have 12V to operate are the furnace, water pump, refrigerator when on gas, water heater when on gas and most lights.

If your A/C has a wall mounted thermostat, it will also need 12V for the thermostat to operate.

The 120V AC system can be used by either being plugged in to shore power, or by running the generator.

The 12V DC system can be used strictly off the batteries, or through the onboard converter.

If you are not plugged in, and want to use the AC appliances, you must run your generator.

If you want to just run 12V appliances, you can run directly off the batteries, if they are in good condition, fully charged, and turned on.

If you are plugged in, you can use your 12V system through the converter. The converter takes 120V and converts it to 12V. Most of the 12V goes to running appliances, but some of it goes to charging the batteries but they must be turned on to take a charge.

So if you are plugged in and your batteries are going dead, you either do not have them turned on, or, more likely, the converter is no longer converting.

is there anyway to test the converter?

Sure is.

The easiest way is to have our RV unplugged, and take a voltage reading at the batteries. A fully charged battery will read between 12.2 and 12.6 volts.

Then plug the RV in. If the converter is working, and the batteries are turned on, you will see a voltage reading anywhere between about 13.2 and 13.6 volts.

No change in battery voltage means that there is no output from the converter.

This can be due to no 120 volt input to the converter (tripped circuit breaker), A blown fuse on the converter it it is a deck mount model, or a bad converter.

thank you

Not a problem.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance, so I get credit for my time.

Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Hank,
I've checked some more things out. Without being plugged in my batteries are testing around the 12.2-12.3 volts and being plugged in its about the same. So I disconnect the batteries from the converter cause I wanted to test it without them being connected, by the way I do have 120v coming into the converter and the two fuses are good. After disconnecting the converter from the batteries I plugged it back in and the output volts showed 13.57. Im now confused cause I thought it was the converter not working but without the batteries being hooked to it the volts are what you said they should be. So I connected the batteries back to the converter and tested it again and it was back to 12.22v. The batteries tested good when I had them out a couple weeks ago but they are two years old. Could it be something else or do you think the batteries are just failing and I should replace them? Any other thoughts?

You can have the batteries tested, but it sounds more like the converter is failing. It can provide voltage, but no amperage.

You can compare this to taking a flashlight out of your drawer, and turning it on. It may come on bright for a couple seconds, then fade out very quickly. It is because the power source is bad (the batteries).

The converter is your power source here. It can seem fine with no load on it, but with a load it can not function.

Make sense I'll get a new converter. Thanks

Ok.

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets