RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Attempting to change over my AC Heat from didgital controls…

Customer Question
Attempting to change over...

Attempting to change over my AC Heat from didgital controls to manual hard wire controls. Having trouble getting the heat to come on. Brown and red wire from Heater that used to go to digital controls no place for same wire to manual controls.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No coolant associated with heat Freon inAC new.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2007 holiday rambler

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing RV myself put new AC on roof of RV but the control board only has controls for AC the furnance needs to be wired into the circuit someplace on the control circuit board.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just how to wire in the furnance controls.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
9/18/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

What is the make and model of the A/C and furnace? And why are you changing out the controls?

original unit was carrier I changed over to Coleman after carrier was knocked off of the roof of trailer. Tried to get another Carrier but Carrier out of Business and was provided Coleman by Holiday Rambler.
The Coleman is a Mark8330serial ####-##-####

Please explain what you are trying to add here. Do you want to go to manual ceiling controls instead of a thermostat or are you trying to hook up some other brand of thermostat?

No RAndall, The carrier that was removed was digital controlled. the coleman is manual controlled with thermostat Heat and cold. the cold side works but the Heat side will not work due to wiring not hooked up. I can not figure where to hook the wire from furnace to the wiring at the thermostat. The control module in the ceiling does not have two blue wires just one and the wire coming from the furnance has two wires a red and white wire that need to be hooked up to the module in some way.

Which part number is ***** thermostat? By "manual" you mean an analog slide control unit.

coleman Mack part # AP7862 slide switch fan cool one side off heat the other side of system switch fan side of thermostat auto one side on the other

That is an analog slide control thermostat. It should be part number 7330G3351. What is the part number of the ceiling control module you have now? These have to be compatible.

Randall, the ceiling control module is 8330A733 and I found another number on the thermostat 7330G335 no "1" after 335

O.K.......let me make a quick call and check the combatibility and get back to you.

Yes, those are going to work fine together. So now you need to get a small digital multimeter and check those two furnace leads and see which one is the positive lead. Measure between each one and a good ground. Meter set on "DC volts" on the 20 scale. Red probe to the lead and black lead to ground. Mark the positive one as we won't use that. You can just put a small wire nut on it and tape it off. Let me know when you get that done.

Randall white lead is positive 13.5 volts. Red lead 0 volts

And the readings were between each one and a ground?

ground provided from fuse panel and each one check separately
Randall will be gone from 9:30 to 12:30pm today 9-21-2017

O.K.........I am in the middle of breakfast, so let me catch up with your later today.

Do we still need to work this out? If so, the white lead off the new thermostat is the funace lead. It has to connect to the lead up at the furnace wiring that wasn't "hot" when you checked them. Is there going to be any lead for that in the harness between the thermostat and the A/C?

Randall I will have to check this out and will get back to you = Thanks for your time.

You are welcome!