RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 96 southwind and the auto park and emergency brake…

Customer Question
Hi I have...

Hi I have a 96 southwind and the auto park and emergency brake pedal are not working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?

The rig is new to me.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '96 RV?

I believe it is a storm. 1gblp37j2t3300963

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Storm yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am trying to fix myself. Can not find anyone that be can

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
9/18/2017
RV Mechanic: Wayne, RV Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Wayne, RV Mechanic

HI I'm Wayne

I will try to help you with this

what happens when you pull the button for Park ??

The is no button to pull. I am mainly concerned about emergency brake pedal. It is not holding rig when stopped.
Do I have to call u to get a response?
RV Mechanic: Joe, RV Technician replied 8 months ago
Joe
Joe, RV Technician

Hello , my name is Joe
Your auto-apply park brake relies on an electric hydraulic pump to release the spring.
If the park brake will not release, then begin with a good visual inspection for any fluid leakage in the hydraulic system...Repair any small leaks that may be starting - and pay close attention to the pressure switches...
There will be a pressure switch mounted on the park brake pump assembly, and another pressure switch mounted on the park brake actuator cylinder under neath the coach. Often these pressure switches will leak fluid until the fluid reservoir on the pump is depleted. Once the fluid is depleted, the park brake will not release.

If the park brake will not hold,

If the park brake does not hold the coach, then the brake shoes may have been severely worn or damaged from dragging on the drum while in travel. This often happens when there is a fluid leak - causing a loss of pressure while the coach is being driven.
The park brake shoes are located inside the drum on the transmission tailshaft.
In most cases , the park brake drum will need to be removed , and the shoes inspected for damage. The park brake cable will need to be adjusted as well.
Note: be sure the wheels are blocked - before working underneath the coach.
If the shoes are worn away or the drum shows signs of heat damage , then it is likely there is a fluid leak in the auto park brake system that must be repaired as well.
-Joe

Just checking in to see if you need any clarification on something which I stated above.
Please remember to rate my service, so I can receive credit for my help.
-Joe

Joe thank you for checking in. After reading email you sent me. I concentrated on emergency brake shoes on back of transmission. I was able to adjust them through hole. It seems like they are working and auto brake is working also. I have not tested them out on a trip yet but so far in the driveway they are working. Thank you. If I have any questions in the future can I request u?

Thanks for the update.

Yes , some times the shoes just need adjustment.

The shoes can be adjusted by turning the star wheel adjuster inside the drum, and also by "shortening" the cable at the actuator cylinder by turning the long adjustment nut.

Joe

Joe
Joe
Joe, RV Technician