RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our tire flew off and the bolts weee sheared. We can't

Customer Question
Our tire flew off...

Our tire flew off and the bolts weee sheared. We can't figure out what size bolts we need

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

Tire is brand new

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2005 Forest River hybrid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We just need the bolt size so we can buy 5 to get tire back on

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: RV
9/17/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 9 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Y​ou need to take the drum off and into a shop or automotive store and have them punch out the remains of the old ones and install some new studs. They can give you the correct size lug nuts as well. If they have a new drum, that might be cheaper. Double check the torque in the rest of the lugs to be sure they are tight. Did you have these off recently and someone didn't torque them properly?

you don't know the size? I just wanted to know that. I am not happy with this answer

We have no way of knowing that. They aren't "bolts" as you put it. Depending on who made the drums they can be about a dozen different sizes. I would go ahead and just take it into a shop for service then or call a good mobile tech. Put in for a full refund here. Not a problem..........

RV Mechanic: Wayne, RV Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Wayne, RV Mechanic

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

front or rear, and what chassis you have

gene
gene
gene, RV Mechanic