RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We're currently away from power, but have solar panels and…

Customer Question
We're currently away from...

We're currently away from power, but have solar panels and an inverter and we can't get the electrical sockets working. It's a Forest river Rockwood g19fd. We have checked the circuit breakers and the main outlet and can't get anything

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Forest River?

2018 G19FD geopro

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Forest River?

2018

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Reset breaker, reset GFI, turned off and on the inverter and checked under the trailer for loose wires. My brother in law is working on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

He's checking now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

And yes he believes he has a wiring diagram. And a mechanic would be great

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
9/17/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Ok. Thanks Randall

What is the make and model of your inverter? Have you check to be sure that the batteries are "in the loop" and supplying power to it? A small digital multimeter is very helpful here. About $20 at most hardware stores and easy to use. I have an RV shop and install these systems and live off-grid myself.

It's a 2015 gp-pwm-30

Go Power?

There's only one battery at 70% it's charging at .7amps and running at 1.4 volts
go power

One battery isn't going to work out here for much. That is the model of the solar controller, but what is the inverter? And it should be putting out about 12 VDC at a minimum to the battery. Is this in direct sun?

You really need at least two batteries here and the larger the better. 6 VDC golf cart batteries in series would be the best for the maximum amps capacity. It depends on what you are trying to power up. How many watts of input do you have? I am on my way into town so it will be about 20 minutes before I can respond back here.

ok. I will work on those questions and get back to you

10-4

We have a 70% battery and my brother says the problem is somewhere between the gfi and the battery

I still don't have all the information I need here. Size of the inverter and the actual input DC voltage there at the incoming feed from the battery. If the voltage is below 12 VDC it won't work. You can't generate any AC power when it falls below 12 VDC and especially with only one battery. What were you hoping to power up here?