RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

It is on a 1999 F53 chasse and does not want to start. The…

Customer Question
It is on a...

It is on a 1999 F53 chasse and does not want to start. The starter and battery are ok. When I turn the switch the lights come on as soon I try to start the lights go out. It looks like a short in the ignition????

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The lights on the control panel, as well as the driving lights that are on auto.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 RV?

Santara by Fleetwood

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to find a short, but I can;t

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I checked the battery is ok. I override the starter and it starts.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
9/16/2017
RV Mechanic: Ron, RV Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Ron, RV Mechanic

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Ok. I am waiting....

Power to the ignition switch come in from the Fuses J and L in the under hood fuse panel to the two yellow wires as well as the two light green /purple wires, if you take your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and at the connector on the ignition switch do you hold power there with the key turned on as well as cranking? See the ignition wiring in the link below for testing reference . Check this for me and let me know what you find.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4fw8630bpkq1s3/Ignition%20Sep%2016.pdf?dl=0

The problem is after the ignition to the starter. Do you have the diagram for it?Thanks

Yes , see the starter circuit in this link. Have a look at this link and let me know if you need anything else.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/16hhfiqp672mmpn/Start%20Sep%2016.pdf?dl=0

There's power to the switch. The problem is after the switch. Do you have the diagram from the switch to the starter, including the selinoid and relay before the starter. I think that is where the issue is. Thanks

Yes that diagram I sent you in the last link is from the Ignition switch to the starter. Are you not able to view it?

Ron, RV Mechanic