RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2000 Komfort trailer with a Norcold model N821

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a 2000 Komfort trailer with a Norcold model N821 Refrigerator. Used it last July with no problems. Parked it in front of my house to load up for a camping trip 3 weeks ago. The trailer was on a slope from side to side due to the road grade from the center of the road to the curb. We have always parked it on that slope to turn refrigerator on to cool down the night before leaving. When we got to the camp site the freezer was working, but was iced up. The refrigerator never got below 55 degrees. I took it in to an RV repair center and he said it was most likely the burner orifice and would have to remove refrigerator to clean the orifice out. His bill said, "service fridge cleaned burner orifice, performed pressure test on lp system. Set regulator to 11"W.C. and ran for 24 hour test on cooling unit to extract heat from refrigerator. Couldn't get get cooling unit to extract heat from refrigerator. Recommend R&R cooling unit. Before taking it in the night before I had plugged it into AC and the freezer worked and so did the refrigerator, freezer was below 0 degrees and refrigerator was around 34 degrees. Do you think I need to replace the cooling unit or the whole refrigerator, or is there something else the repair guy is missing?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

I do not know how to check the level and I didn't see any leaking on the outside hatch door or never smelled any propane or ammonia smells

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 RV?

Komfort 23

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it into a shop and they pulled the refer out and cleaned the burner orifice out and ran a 24 hour cooling test and the refer never got down to cooling temp. Freezer was ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't understand why it works perfectly on Ac power, but on propane only the freezer works and the refer will not cool down below 55 degrees.

9/16/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 5 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

ok, just ask.

The fact that it works on AC fine shows that there is nothing wrong with the cooling unit. So on LP mode you are faced with several possible issues. Debris in the inlet of the gas valve, a dirty burner or damaged flue baffle. Unless in the shop you are using another regulator and don't know the actual working pressure. And it is best to set these up to 12 WCI as this specs call for 11 WCI with about 35K btu being used. I have found in my shop that 12 WCI works out about right for this. Do you have the Norcold Service Manual for this or not? I can get you one. Handy to have. All follow ups are included in our fee.

what is my problem and how can I fix it?

Without me being there and checking those things I mentioned, I can't say. You are going to have to do that. Debris in the inlet of the gas valve is not hard to check. Either is the baffle. Pull it out and inspect it. Check the burner slots and see if they are partially clogged or rusted out. Take the jet out and wash it in lacquer thinner and make sure when you hold it up to the light it is clear. Then be sure you have the required LP pressure when you turn it back on again.

Did you see my previous response? http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf

Ok thanks Randall

You are most welcome! Please get back to me if you need more. No time limit on follow ups. Be sure that the installation specs are maintained exactly and insulate all sides and the top.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification