RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My cummings 4000 quiet trips output breaker in 10 monutes or…

Customer Question
My cummings 4000 quiet...

My cummings 4000 quiet trips output breaker in 10 monutes or maybe 1 hour or after srveral hours

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 4000?

2005 is year of my siesta 23

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4000 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, checked tighten electrical junctions, changed oil in gen

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles since your last oil change?

None, in driveway

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

With ac running, when compressor kicks in gen sometime groans breaker on gen by start switch rocker trips

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

That can be from too much load at the A/C and a hard start kit can resolve that. Or it can be from too many other AC uses on. Turn the fridge on LP mode and also the water heater. Hot days make this even worse. I would get a small digital multimeter and check the output AC voltage of the generator and be sure that it is adequate. You should see at least 117 at one of the outlets in the coach. It will drop as the A/C attempts to start and if that is too low, the amperage in the circuit spikes and trips the breaker. A small meter is about $20 and easy to use. I can direct you futher here if needed on more testing. If you get me the make and model of your A/C I can get you a part number for the hard start kit. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification