RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The check Trans light is on and it will not shift into drive…

Customer Question
The check Trans light...

The check Trans light is on and it will not shift into drive or reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The light on the dash

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2002 winnebago journey XL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just tried to start it and move it and it wont go into gear i have tried cycling the ignition a gew times and nothing works

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The transmission has been periodically going into "limp mode" while driving it but so far just cycling the ignition has fixed it until now

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
9/15/2017
RV Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 11 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time in chat?

Thanks again, Ron