Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I can't get two plug ins to work everything else on curcuit

I can't get two plug ins to work everything else on curcuit works but can't get power to them or find where connection is lost
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Consistent I bought it a couple months ago as a first camper but keep finding problems
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: It is a fleetwood wilderness but can't remember for sure if it's 01 or 05 rite now
JA: What year is your Fleetwood?
Customer: It's either 2001 or 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I had a new roof installed but everything I have done. I have put a continuity tester on it and only the ground wire is making connection on those two plugs to the others and breaker box common and hot wire is only making a curcuit between the two plugs that don't work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have pulled other plugs out to make sure both wires going in we're making connection going in and coming out with volt meter

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

A​re these those plugs that are all one piece with the face plate? The ones with the wires pushed into the slots in them? Those can be troublesome and it sounds like the wiring may gotten burned inside one and won't pass the current across. In my shop I usually just remove those and add a shallow box and new duplex plug and wire them up with the screws on the sides for more secure connection. It would be rare that any of those Romex leads are damaged unless they were exposed somehow when the roof was repaired. That is what I would check and how I would repair this. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are the closest to breaker box I know that doesn't mean they are first on circuit but I have pulled all but one plug that I know is in that breaker and tested every wire and everything checks good going in and coming out because I thought of that but they all check out but yes it's that type plug. I've replaced a couple of them. If it got exposed while roof was being worked on that would mean there is just a hot wire cut somewhere in wall or ceiling rite ?

Not many RVs wire up 120 VAC circuits in the ceiling for wall outlets. If these are wall outlets that would be rare, but it could have happened I suppose. Did they replace any damaged wood? If they did, they may have put a screw in the wiring, but usually there are metal plates over all these areas so that can't happen. Where are these two outlets?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they put some new wood but if they put a screw through it wouldn't it short out whole circuit or broke all three wires instead of just hot and common because bare ground ohms out on every plug and back to breaker box even with wire pulled loose from breaker to rule out dead ground to frame but common nor hot will and all wires are running up from plug so just assumed they were in ceiling

If it just went through the side it may have broken just one, but you are correct about all three. I suspect that this is in a plug. They can give you a good voltage reading and even ohm out and yet fail under load. If this was in my shop, I would replace those outlets and hook up a load to the feed and test that under load.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I pulled plugs and checked wires themselves to could it still be what your saying. If I put meter on common of one of the bad plugs and hot on a good plug I get somewhere around 11 to 14 volts but on ground it's 119 kind of like it's shorted to frame but doesn't ohm out to dead ground. Do you have any idea how the wiring is ran and why the closest plugs would be later in sequence or if there is a junction box somewhere

Most all wall plugs are on a GFCI circuit. No way to really know how they wired them up, but doubtful about any J-boxes in there. I would take those two bad ones loose and put a load on them and see what the voltage is. Then go in the direction that leads for a solid reading under load.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the best way to put a load on it

Rig up a light bulb and just use some wire nuts to attach it to the leads. Doesn't have to be a large load.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I will try it I've worked two evenings trying to track it down. Where would I need to start load testing since there is no power on the wires in the two plugs

You have to go back to what you think is the logical (so much as possible) one that supplies those. That may take a few tries to get that. If it turns out that the screw theory is correct, you have to see if you can route a new lead into those.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've already found a easy way to pull a new wire that's inside under the cabinets but I was trying to fix the problem before going straight to that and I want to find what wire is messed up if it is to disconnect on both ends so I don't have a bad hot wire so I don't have problems later. In my head my common sense tells me it would come straight from breaker box to those two plugs then over door to the next one but I think my common sense is wrong since neither plug works and the third does (if it were wired that way ) I know which wire connects the two plugs and which wire should be hot but have to find the other end of it to fix or disconnect. That's why I asked earlier if you knew how it was wired

They are never the same way and unfortunately, Fleetwood got rid of all the wiring diagrams for these so we have to figure it out the hard way. In the shop we have to do this exactly the same way you are doing it. Having new duplex plugs that are going to be dependable is never a bad idea. What you are thinking is the "third plug" may actually be the one feeding these.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've thought of that but hot and common don't ohm out between them but ground does so I may have to track it using only the ground by unhooking and test between it to narrow it down and forget about hot and common

If you are not actually using the wires you may not be getting an accurate picture of what is there. If you are putting the probes in the sockets that can happen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am pulling plugs and checking wires just in case it's not making good connection in plug

Good idea!

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this or not?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks yes. I called the guy that put my roof on to see if he remembered a j-box in the ceiling. He told me to check gfi outlet in bathroom since it was plug outside and under counter. It was just tripped. I worked on it four days and had a buddy come help for fresh eyes and that's all it was hit reset and everything works. Except one 12 volt light in the slide but that should be no problem

T​hat would do it. I thought we had checked all those first. Easy to overlook those sometimes. Glad you were able to get it resolved and for letting me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
According to how grounds tested out I thought it was on a different curcuit but I was wrong
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bothers me I wasn't smart enough to think of that and worked on it four days but glad it's over

It happens.............sometimes we just overlook the obvious. Glad you were able to finally flip the switch!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks

You are most welcome!