Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Old house batteries lost charge. Replaced, new batteries

Old house batteries lost charge. Replaced, new batteries won' hold charge
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: 8 something volts on the old and new batteries , no leaks (liquid).
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced batteries, checked transfer relays, replaced cord end, checked all fuses, changed breakers for the RV hookup on my house.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When the batteries are charged enough to start the generator, everything seems to work fine on the generator

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Are you sure that the batteries are hooked up correctly? 6 VDC batteries or 12 VDC batteries.?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
12 VDC
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Shore power won't run both air conditioners. Generator will.

Is the shore cord 30 amp or 50 amps? Any adapter being used on the cord?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
50 amp
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no adapters, replaced cord end
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
bypassed transfer relay by wiring cord directly to panel with wire nuts, no difference.

Are you sure that the problem isn't at the power source? Take a voltage reading there on each leg to the neutral and see what you have.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have taken readings of the source with an analog meter that show 110 on each leg and 220 combined and even changed out the breaker on the source.

That might make the A/C work too hard. You usually need 115 VAC as a minimum. What else do you have on?

Just checking back in to see if you still needed some help with this problem?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thank you Randall. I think it is just a problem with my house current.

I think maybe it is too low for running both of those on a very hot day. Perhaps a hard start kit would help and having no other AC uses on. And you are quite weclome!