RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

What does the Guest switch do in my RV, Damon Intruder 1995,

Customer Question
What does the Guest...

What does the Guest switch do in my RV

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

Damon Intruder 1995

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '95 RV?

Chevy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't know what the Guest Switch does

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes what to look for when you can't start an keep running the Gen from the dash. It runs when the engine is running

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes and no they are new batteries

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
9/14/2017
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

You weren't very descriptive here, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that this "guest switch" is a big red dial swtich? It says either OFF and ON, or it says 1 OFF 2?

If so, that is your main battery switch. It turns your batteries on and off.

If your batteries are turned off, it will also keep the genset from running if the main engine is not running. The generator has to have a good battery connected to stay running. If it will run with the main engine on, it is because it is running off the output from the alternator.

But it will run if you start it at the generator

You said the genset would only run if the main engine was running. That is a whole different ball of wax.

If it will run from the genset, but not from the remote, pull the remote from the dash, and check the wiring. Check for loose or shorting connections.

If nothing is found, there may a short in the remote harness.