RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

No hot water from hot water faucets.. put in new check valve…

Customer Question
No hot water from...

No hot water from hot water faucets.. put in new check valve on cold water inlet to hot water tank but did not fix the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?

No leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2004 Itasca meridian

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I put in the check valve on the cold water inlet to the hot water tank

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The bypass valve is in the normal position not the winterize position

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
9/13/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

The check valve goes on the hot water side. And it can be put in backwards. Check that. The spring side goes towards the tank.

the check valve I installed is on the line with a blue sticker on it and goes to the hot water tank. I replaced the valve that was there. The valve opens to the hot water tank. Above that line is another line with a red sticker that goes into the tank near the top of the tank. is there a check valve in the tank itself? This is an Attwood 10 gallon tank that runs on propane or electric. could there be an airlock that is causing the problem?

Was this a check valve or a bypass valve for winterizing? No airlock really possible. You can install those bypass valves backwards as well. Check that and see.

This is a check valve. I got it at the Winnebago factory yesterday. It is identical to the one I took out today and installed in the same direction

The check vavle goes on the hot water side. Brass or plastic? They have no knob on them. If this is backwards to won't work.

The blue line is cold water and goes on the bottom of the tank. Hot water is a red line and comes out the top of the tank.

The check valve is brass. The check valve is on the cold line as it has been since the motor home was built and it has worked fine until taken out of storage this summer

I have been at this business for over 15 years and never seen one on the cold water side. No reason to have one there. In any event, it is keeping the water from going into the water heater OR you have something on the hot line keeping it from coming out. This should be easy to figure out here. What is on the hot side? And is there a bypass for winterizing or not? Attach a photo of this whole area to your post and so I can see what the plumbing looks like.

I will try to get a plumbing diagram from Winnebago on line and fax it to you This my take some time

You can go to Winebago Plumbing diagrams online and get them.

get me the model number and I can look for them here.

Model number for 2004 Itasca Meridian is 36g

Let me get to my computer and take a look at them. Give me a bit.

See the attached diagrams. They don't show the back of the water heater. Can you attach a photo of that to your post? Use the paperclip icon. http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2004/04_p36g_plumb.pdf

Randall, I am assuming you are right about the location of the check valve on the hot water side. Winnebage did not do that. There is no check valve on the hot side and they put one on the cold side instead. When I turn the pump on the 10 gallon tank fills in about 3 minutes and the pump turns off. If I remove this check valve would that change anything? The only change I have made to the system is changing the pump because the variable flow Shurflo falled one year ago. I replaced it with a variable flow Flojet which has slightly less pressure than the Shurflo

If the tank fills then there is no reason it shouldn't exit out the hot water on top unless that is plugged up or has a bad check valve. The only reason for having check valves at all is to winterize these and keep from having to fill the water heater with antifreeze. So, yes......you can remove that and the system would work fine, so long as the other parts are functioning properly.

Randall, There is a plastic 90 degree elbow that leaves the hot water side of the tank. Maybe it is plugged up. I think I will try to remove the pressure relief valve and blast water in to remove any blockage. The elbow is just about impossible to get at without removing the entire attwood tank.

I doubt that will work. Better to try to unplug it from the rear.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved?

Randall, still unresolved. I put the bypass valve in the bypass position and then water comes out of the hot water faucets just fine.

Any chance you got on on backwards? If not, one may be broken. They have a directional arrow on them.

"one on" there..........

The bypass valve has never been worked on. I only install a new check valve which did not fix anything.

Any chance you got that on backwards? The spring side goes towards the water heater.

There may be debris blocking that hot water line inside. Not that large a diameter.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved and working again?