Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Having problems with 12v ground when 110v is connected.

Having problems with 12v ground when 110v is connected. Note, all display panel lights are on and refrig control panel is acting up.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The water levels and battery power.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: Winnebago Chalet 20011
JA: What year is your RV?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked most of the 12v grounds I e to the rv frame.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think the problem is the converter.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

If you can come up with a small digital multimeter we can test that and see. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. What is the make and model of your load center?

I am headed back too my shop so it may be about 30 minutes before I can respond.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Conv/charger ETL? Series 7300 Model 7345
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am getting lunch so I can wait.

The converter should be putting out about 13.7 VDC and not more than 1/2 VAC ripple into the DC circuit. If this is an older OEM unit that hasn't been upgraded to a newer fully electronic unit that can be more common. And sometimes the relay inside locks up and won't allow it to switch back between the battery mode and the shore cord mode. We can test that with a meter. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am going out to test the VDC. I have a simple volt/ohm meter but will dig out my big one.

Test at the batteries and at the coverter fuses.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am only showing 12vdc On both battery positive and converter positive.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Note, it does charge the battery. Also I can run the refrig on 110v plugged in at the back with out the dc control panel acting up. But when run thru the rv system the dc control panel acts up turning on and foff.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The little meter is a Heathkit trouble shooter. The big one is an old Simpson dial type. I am going to get a new digital meter and retest and get back with you.

Exactly 12 VDC? That would be odd. Get the new digital meter and we can get this figured out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well it's 4:15 in Alaska now. I get 12.13vdc at the battery. I get 12.17 for the battery at the power center. I get 12.17 for the converter at power center if 110 is on or not. I will check in the am for advice.

So it appears that the converter is not working. It should be reading about 13.7 VDC. Was that on the red lead or the blue lead attached to the fuse block? Those older units have two different charging rates. The new electronic units just has one. And did you check for any AC ripple in that DC current. Put the meter on "AC volts" and read it the same place. You are only allowed 1/2 VAC there. Get back to me later and we can sort this out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The read was off the blue line. When I check for VAC I get 26 to 27 volts. This shows up even when I unplug 110. It's like the converter is storing power??

No, it doesn't store power. It should not read over about 7 VAC when plugged into shore power. What was the red lead?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is not a red lead. A black (+) and green (-) from the battery, and a blue (+) and white (-) from the converter. The green and white are on the same grounding point.

O.K..........what do you read at the black lead terminal? It should be red on the back from the converter.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The black is 26.7 VAC.

That converter is toast then. Get an upgrade and use a Progressive Dynamics PD9245 or PD9255. Takes about an hour to replace due to needing to replace the whole fuse block.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where is the best place to order the Progressive Dynamics converter?

Best Converters online is usually good. Google that part number and see who has the best price. Amazon can be good sometimes. Comes with good instructions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your patience and assistance!!!

You are most welcome! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer!

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I got back to testing the Conv/charger and it puts out 13.7 DCV when the battery is disconnected. I was testing the ACV across the + and - when I got the 26 ACV. When I test just on the Conv/charger + line only I only get.02 ACV. The output of the Conv/charger looks good but the - ground is possible bad?

Not sure on that last part where you are taking the reading. It has to be between the positive and ground.