RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

Brake lights on my Chevy 2500 duramax indicator at side

Customer Question
mirror work top of cab...
brake lights on my Chevy 2500 duramax indicator at side mirror work top of cab work but back bumper and turn back bumper Don’t work and I have got over all fuses what am I missing ?
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: 2 months ago I had steering box, pump, all lines and fluid changed but I will check
JA: What year is your 2500?
Customer: 2008 with Utility Body and when body was put they used the trailer harnes to hook into for the box tail and bumper lights
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just got back from BRC burningman lots of dust and I pulled a 27’ trailer no problems home and I am hooking up my dump trailer no lights
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: RV
factory installed
9/13/2017
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Just to make sure I understand. The truck has a utility box instead of a bed. No lights at all on the back of the box work (brake, turn, park, reverse). These lights get there signal from the 7 pin trailer connector wiring. With a trailer connected, all the lights on the trailer do work?

they did work but I am not with that trailer now it would take 15 mins to go and hook that up and see if they work. Should I do that?

You can hook up to a trailer or we can test at the trailer connector with a volt meter or test light.

I think it would be just as effective to test
I have light, volt, and ohm meter

Your response I still have no break lights at back of the truck every thing is tight all pins and posts

So at the trailer connector all pins worked except left stop turn and right stop turn, correct?

Yellow and green right and left blinkers both work black no and orange no blue no thou the black gives a quick light and goes off stays off but if u loose contact and do it again it does the same thing

Since the trailer connector stop turn wires do work. The box is wired into the trailer connector and those brake and turn lights do not work. That means there is a wire break between your trailer connector harness and the box rear lamps or the box rear lamps are bad or there is no ground to the box rear lamps. You will need to find where they spliced in and test the wires for power when braking there and follow the wires up to the lamps. There is not a diagram to provide for that since it was wired unlike any vehicle should of been. I do have the OEM wire diagrams though if that would help.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic