Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My 19 foot wolf toy hauler had corroded battery terminal

Customer Question

My 19 foot gray wolf toy hauler had corroded battery terminal after I cleaned them I did not have
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Brand new battery I have 12.5 volts at the juncti6box under the trailer. I did accidently break of the cap to the 110 connector on the side of the trailer the 2 wires and end terminal is still intact
JA: What is the model of your '12 RV?
Customer: 19rr(###) ###-####JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes replaced battery checked fuses display does not light up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

You cleaned the battery terminals and now you don't have any 12 VDC power? Not sure what you broke there. Maybe attach a photo of that so I can see what you are talking about. Use the paperclip icon for that. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I can give you a call as soon as Customer Service clears your payment with the card company. Maybe just a Fraud Alert.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It should work now
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where are you
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I am in California.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did you get it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I sent the picture
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Yes. I see what you mean on the cord.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any ideas on next step
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

D​o you have a small digital multimeter for some testing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. What did you actually break in that 120 VAC inlet at the cord?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just the outside dust/weather cap
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

O.K. Plug in the coach and take a DC volts reading at the battery(s). You should have about 13.7 VDC.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
12.68
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

So it isn't charging or it isn't reaching the battery. Try it again at the load center. Take the cover off and check the power there.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

What is the make and model of your load center?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Waco 8955pec
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Don't know how to test
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Take the cover off and take a reading between the heavy red and heavy white leads on the fuse block. They should be marked as battery leads.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok on the phone for a moment
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

No word on the phone chat yet........

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is no doubt the problem rhanks
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

What kind of DC volts reading did you get at the load center? Were the reverse polarity fuses o.k.?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
13.67 fuse ok
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

So the problem is probably at the shortstop breaker. See the attached link to see what you are looking for. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=shortstop+breaker+photo&id=8D4939A7F0965679E3E29C89B963B0D9C24CDC15&FORM=IQFRBA

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Most have a small black button on the end with the copper post that you have to push in so it will reset. Low voltage trips them.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

B​y code they have to be within 18" of the battery. Follow the red lead right to it or them as sometimes there is more than one.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I had to leave home for an appointment
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

No problem...........I took a dinner break. I think when you find that you will have the solution.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

J​ust checking back in to see if you were able to track down the shortstop breaker? Never did get any notice on the phone chat payment.