RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I'd like to add an 12 volt LED light to indicate when the…

Customer Question
I'd like to add...

I'd like to add an 12 volt LED light to indicate when the 110 VAC water heater software is on, so I don't forget it. Can you tell me where to pick up 12 VDC on the back on the water heater control board, when that software is on? Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

There is no light there now, just a switch to turn on the electric part of the water heater. I'd like to add a 12 VDC LED indicator light that I am providing, to show when the electric part of the water heater is on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took off the control board that contains the switches for the water heater and the indicator lights for battery, water, etc. I used a voltmeter to test for 12 volts at various places but couldn't find 12 VDC. However, I have done this before, so I think it is do-able.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should do it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
I have a 2017 Thor Four Winds 28A Class C RV.
9/12/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

OK, what do you need to know?

What is the make and model of the water heater? Get back to me with this and I can instruct you in hooking this up. All follow ups are included in our fee.

I'll have to go out to the RV and check on the model number.

I can call you as soon as Customer Service notifies me that your card company has approved the additional fee.

It is an Atwood Model GC6AA-10E.

I can give you a call as soon as Customer Service tells me that your card company has approved the additional payment.

I am attaching a copy of the Atwood Service Manual for you. See page 25 for the wiring diagram for this model. You would want to attach you positive feed into that white lead that powers up the AC side. Ground the other side. When the element is on the LED light will light up. Hope that helps. Please get back to me if you need more on this as all follow ups are included in our fee.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!