RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Generator will not start unless RV Key is on and or engine…

Customer Question
Generator will not start...

Generator will not start unless RV Key is on and or engine started. It then runs fine but will not keep house batteries charged. If main engine is running and gen set is running then house batteries stay charged..

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

We do have some corrosion and will correct that first

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2004 Itasca Horizon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Horizon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it. We haven't tried anything yet but will clean battery terminals first

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
9/11/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

The generator doesn't actually charge the batteries. It just provides AC power to the converter for that. Or the inverter/charger if that is what you have. Have you checked to be sure that unit is getting good incoming AC power? A small digital multimeter is very helpful here for checking this. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in this. If you can give me the actual model of your coach I can look at the wiring diagrams and get you to the correct place. All follow ups are included in our fee.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!