gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Generator will not start unless RV Key is on and or engine

Customer Question

Generator will not start unless RV Key is on and or engine started. It then runs fine but will not keep house batteries charged. If main engine is running and gen set is running then house batteries stay charged..
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: We do have some corrosion and will correct that first
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2004 Itasca Horizon
JA: Are you fixing your Horizon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am fixing it. We haven't tried anything yet but will clean battery terminals first
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

The generator doesn't actually charge the batteries. It just provides AC power to the converter for that. Or the inverter/charger if that is what you have. Have you checked to be sure that unit is getting good incoming AC power? A small digital multimeter is very helpful here for checking this. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in this. If you can give me the actual model of your coach I can look at the wiring diagrams and get you to the correct place. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!