gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

We just bought an almost new WD1710 and have it set up in

Customer Question

We just bought an almost new WD1710 and have it set up in our driveway now. There is no power inside and the 12V battery is fully charged. The light panel to the left of the sink is also totally dead. Is there a master power switch or breaker?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: None, totally dead inside.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2017 Winnebago Winnie Drop WD1710
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, it is set up in our driveway as the unit is new and new to us. I charged the 12V battery. Don' t know what else to try.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know enough to ask further questions, so....No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What else do you need to know?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

A​re you plugged into shore power? And do you have a small digital multimeter? That would be very helpful here for some testing to track down the problem. About $20 or so at most hardware stores. Easy to use and I can direct you in some testing. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limits.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not plugged into shore power. Yes, I have a voltmeter. The 12V battery is fully charged and I have my tow vehicle in place where I can plug into it. Indeed, I tried plugging into the tow vehicle and it made no difference. There is small panel inside the trailer with a light bar type of meter that is supposed to show the battery level, potable, grey and black water levels. It is totally dead as well. We just bought this new trailer. During the walk through, all of the 12V systems worked. Now, there is nothing. Is there some sort of master switch or breaker?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Most trailers don't have a disconnect switch. There is a shortstop breaker on the main 12 VDC positive lead and you should check the fuses in the load center for the converter to be sure they aren't blown. That would keep you from getting power. See the attached photo link for a shortstop breaker. Black button needs to be reset sometimes. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=shortstop+breaker+photo&id=8D4939A7F0965679E3E29C89B963B0D9C24CDC15&FORM=IQFRBA

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where would I find the load center? Is it typically inside or outside the trailer?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Inside along the floorline. Where all the fuses and breakers are. Didn't they show you anything on this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is a master switch and I found it. Problem solved. Have a nice day.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Great! Have a small meter and a 12 VDC test light in your tool kit. Very helpful in these cases. And find the shortstop breaker. Guaranteed you will trip it at somepoint.