RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2002 Stratus motorhome, this season the freezer is cold but…

Customer Question
2002 Stratus motorhome, this...

2002 Stratus motorhome, this season the freezer is cold but the frig is not always cold enough, I wonder about the sensor that is held in place by a plastic clamp, sometimes when I play around with the sensor then the frig runs cold like it should.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

I am an owner, so would not know about codes In the frig there is a row of aluminum vanes and there is a white sensor that comes through the back of the frig and is held in place by a while big clip over the vanes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Stratus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just have a frig thermometer and frig is running near 0 but frig in about 50 today. Motorhome just came back from a rental to Burning Man, guys reported it was not cold in frig but very good in freezer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there a fee for this connection

Mechanic's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the RV Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

Let me think about it and thanks for your time

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
9/10/2017
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 11 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This does sound like a fault with the thermostat itself.This is part of the thermostat slide adjustment.It can fail and cause a false signal causing this issue here needing replaced.Since you are able to adjust it somewhat and it sometimes works this is usually the cause here.You will have to have this tested further to be sure that this is the cause needing replaced but it does sound to be the case here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Did you understand the freezer is working perfectly, just the frig is having the problem, it all seems to depend on when the little white probe is moved from its place next to the aluminum vanes in the frig on the back wall. Does not seem to have a thermostat issue.
There is no slide thermostat in the frig, there is a button that moves the temp up and down with a series of lights from cold to coldest.
is the $26 in addition to the $32 and the $5?

O.k.,thank you for that.I did understand the freezer is working.

The component you are moving is the temp sensor.It sounds like the temp sensor is sending a false signal needing replaced.It can fail causing the fault here.

The phone call is an additional fee unfortunately but we can continue here if you need to instead if you want.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete