RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

We have a domestic rm2553 fridge that will now not switch

Customer Question
on JA: What's the make/model/year of...
We have a domestic rm2553 fridge that will now not switch on
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2011 jacyo sterling
JA: Are you fixing your Sterling yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have the manual and have turned it off tried the gas and it won't turn on
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: The. Gas comes to it but it doesn't turn on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Where S the fuse
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: RV
How much longer
9/10/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

T​here is no fuse on the fridge itself. If you have or can obtain a small digital multimeter we can track down the problem. IF you have good AC and DC power to the rear of the fridge, it may be a problem in the selector switch as this is a manual fridge and has on control board. Sometimes dirt or dust gets into that and causes it to cease passing power across the contacts. Get back to me if you are able to test this and I can assist you further here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

S​hould have read "no control board" here.........

We have a small digital multi meter and can you tell me where the contact points are

I am adding a link to the exploded view of the parts for this. Notice the selector switch on top of the fridge. It has to be pulled forward to access this so you want to be sure that there is power to the rear of the fridge first. http://www.laurelhurstdistributors.com/parts/refrigerators/dometic/RM2552-2553.html

Both AC and DC leads come into the rear near the lower left hand corner there. That would be a good place to take a voltage reading for both sides.

IF you don't find either one there then check the service breakers and fuses in the load center of the RV as that is the most logical place they would have them. Especially, if you don't see an inline fuse on the 12 VDC lead.

If you have 12 VDC to those terminals on the rear I would move the selctor switch back and forth a few times and see if you can establish contact and begin to hear the ignitor trying to light this. You should hear the clicking in the rear.

I​f you do hear that, then be sure to hold down the gas valve button for at least 30 seconds to allow the thermocouple to heat up and keep the gas valve open.

there ispower tested to the fudge..how d we test the selector switch

The igniter module is on the rear just above the junction block with that cover over it. See if have power coming TO it down from the selector switch. IF so, then it may be defective or it may have a bad ground. You can pull each wire off separately and put back on to test that in case there is just a bad connection. IF you don't have 12 VDC down to that igniter module, then the fridge has to be pulled forward to access that. In a pinch we could bypass that I suspect and get this to fire up.

Notice that the module is marked with the plus and the ground leads so you know which is which.

you are talking about the domestic cover outside the caravan behind the fridge ..correct and if so yes all power to it is active up and down

Y​es. And is there power down TO the igniter module?

If so, check the ground lead connection.

Both ad and dc

ONLY DC goes to that ignition module above the junction block. The LP mode only used DC power.

Take a DC volts reading between the plus and negative leads on the module. IF that is present, then the module is the problem. You should be able to light the fridge manually with a flame stick while someone holds the LP button down on the fridge and get this going. If the thermocouple works then the fridge will stay on and cool.

If you can get it to come on and stay on then the temp control should work as that is mechanical and not tied to the DC system.

Where is the thermo couple and where do we light and does this need to be on for electricity use

The burner is on the right side. See the diagram. It should have a tin cover over it (#94) that you have to remove to get to it. You don't need any of the LP side for AC use. Only power into the fridge and the selector switch passing it down to the heating element (#102)

Try to light this manually with a flame stick or long stick match while someone holds the button down on the front of the fridge.

Notice that if the ignition module is the problem that the part number is ***** there on the diagram.

We cannot get the tin cover off. So u guess we have to call a service call on n this

Remove the small screw on the top and it just pull straight off. It has an indent on that that holds it on. Use a small screwdriver to lift it up as you pull and it will come off.

It will just snap back into place once you light this.

Any luck on this?

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification