RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Having issues with our 5th wheel. Front stabilizers (legs)

Customer Question
Having issues with our...

Having issues with our 5th wheel. Front stabilizers (legs) aren't lifting high enough to clear the hitch. Checked battery, checked & refilled hydraulic fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No - it seems fine. The trailer has been sitting on a grassy area and not been moved in nearly 2 years - - if that makes a difference.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2008 Forest River Cardinal 5th wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just trying to get it to extend and filling the hydraulic fluid. Looking for tips.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Other than it's been sitting for quite a while, no.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
9/7/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Is it due to settling on the jacks or something in the actual legs or mechanics that is the issue? How much "short" are you? Can the hitch be adjusted downward some? Most can. If that doesn't get it done, you may have to get a 5 ton bottle jack and some blocks and raise up the front end some and install some blocking under the pads to get the right height. Attach a photo or two to your post so I can see this and perhaps I can suggest some other options. All follow ups are included in our fee.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification