Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Have a new charged battery hooked black to positive and

Customer Question

Have a new charged battery hooked black to positive and white to negative checked fuses nothing blown is there something I'm missing to get power in my camper?
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: It's a 2007 Jacob father light
JA: What is the model of your '07 RV?
Customer: No.
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2007 Jayco father light
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've checked fuses and they are all fine
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Probably a tripped or bad shortstop breaker between the battery and the converter. Trace down the black positive lead to it. May be underneath a small cover. Copper post and silver post. May be a black reset button on the end with the copper post. Push it to reset. If you have a small digital multimeter this is easier to track down. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in some testing here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Randall, fuse was ok no reset button. I checked all fuse and breakers in the camper, all of them are fine. Still no power. Took the breaker and fuse box out to see if maybe a connection came undone but all are fine looked at converter box there are two fuses in it. Wondering if the can be pulled out to check them or if they may be welded in there
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

No, they pull out. Was there a shortstop breaker down on the tongue or underneath? Not a fuse. Silver post and copper post.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No there wasn't.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

By code they have to have one or a fuse within 18" of the batteries. Sometimes you have to remove a small plastic cover underneath to access them. IF the converter is good and no voltage to the battery that has to be the source of the problem

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to track this down?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can't pull fuses out of concert to check them they are like stuck in there. The is a fuse on the black battery cable that is good also check with a power tester at the fuse there and we have power to that point.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Fuses in the coverter? There would be two reverse polarity fuses.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was a fuse on positive cable of battery have power to that. And yes on the converter.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are 30 amp fuses and can't get them to pull out they are like stick in there.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

T​hey may be burned in there from some kind of short. That may be part of the problem here. What is the make and model of that converter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will have to get back to you on that as I'm not a campground this weekend will not be there until next weekend.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

1​0-4. Bookmark this and you can come right back to it again.