RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Have a 04 Fleetwood Pioneer trailer. When the shore line is…

Have a 04 Fleetwood...

Have a 04 Fleetwood Pioneer trailer. When the shore line is plugged into a GFCI outlet it trips it immediately, even when the breaker in the trailer is shut off. What's happening????????

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Disconnected the shore line from the breaker and it does not trip the GFCI. Could the breakers be at fault? Understand there was a recall #40322 on the seiman breakers being mismarked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The wife is really getting PO

9/6/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 5 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

You are getting some kind of feedback from something in the trailer that is shorted out. It is most likely in the shore cord IF the main breaker is turned off. Look at the plug and see if it looks somewhat melted or any evidence of heat on the prongs. If so, it may be partially shorted out and need to be replaced. About $20 and not hard to install. Camco makes a good one. Please let me know if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

I even cleaned the ground connections on the trailer frame.

That is usually not the problem. In the cord I suspect as long as the main breaker is off.

I tried replacing the shore line cord with a different cord and it does the same thing. If I plug the shore line into a non-GFCI outlet everything is fine, doesn't trip any of the breakers in the trailer.Is there a way to check the circuits in the trailer without tearing everything apart

The GFCI may be defective. IF there is a short or something miswired up in the load center before the service breaker it will do this. The ground lead and the white neutral have to be separate. Or if there is evidence if any hot areas on the breaker mounts they may be shorting out. Some inspections are needed here. The circuits are not the problem IF you have the main breaker off. UNLESS that is bad. It may be allowing some feedback. Replace that and see.

I​solate the issue to before or after the main breaker. Then it is easier to track down. I can tell you that plugging this into a GFCI outlet in your garage is asking for problems. You need to have a dedicated 30 amp RV outlet for this.

The GFCI tester I picked up indicates the outlet is ok. Can I replace the Seiman breakers in the trailer with a different brand?

As long as the hookup is the same it doesn't make any difference who makes it.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification