peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

My dometic RM2551 tries to light the gas burner in 110VAC

Customer Question

My dometic RM2551 tries to light the gas burner in 110VAC mode or after LP burner is already lit. "click" rate is less than normal gas operation mode and continues as long as the unit is turned on. Could this be a dirty flame sensor?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It is the igniter. I can see the spark when the "click" occurs. Just started last weekend. Refrigerator cools fine but ignition won't stop.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: RM2551. Purchased last year.
JA: What year is your RV?
Customer: 1979 Airstream Safari.
JA: Are you fixing your Safari yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not done anything to the refrigerator since the noise started. I installed it last year and have used it several times without any issues.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your ignitor should be controlled by the circuit board/control unit.It should shut off when no flame is seen and ignite to turn on the flame.In either case it should time out if it cannot ignite or if ignition occurs or after several attempts.Since it continually runs/clicks/ignites this usually indicates the control board/control unit is at fault.This is usually a box at the back of the fridge that the wiring runs from.There is usually a relay built into it that can stick on causing this issue with the control unit/board needing replaced.

I would have this tested further just to be sure but this does sound to be the cause here as it should time out in either case and stop clicking and since it is always clicking this is usually the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete