RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

The air conditioner works fine but the furnace will not come…

The air conditioner works...

The air conditioner works fine but the furnace will not come on. we can't find the fuse panel to check for a fuse issue. we have a 2009 BT Cruiser model

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

We bought it used and don't have a manual

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 RV?

All we can see is BT Touring Cruiser

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?

We did an initialization on the thermostat but nothing happens

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, we just don't see a fuse panel, we had someone from the campground here but he couldn't find the panel iether.

8/22/2017
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Make and model of the furnace? Do you have a separate thermostat for the furnace?

Suburban Gas Furnace. There are several models listed on the only paper we have. They all start with SF-20, 25, 30, 35. There is only one thermostat for the air and furnace. Dometic

Is your thermostat digital or analog slide control? If digital, is the furnace set on the program? What temp to come on?

It's digital and we set it at 78 degrees
I just want to know where the fuse panel for the furnace is.

So when it tries to come on, do you hear any click or not? Any outside inspection cover over the furnace or just the exhaust port? Fuse is in the main load center where all the fuses and breakers are and should be marked. 15 amp fuse.

Is this a Single Zone digital thermostat?

We don't know where the fuses are or breakers. It is a single zone.

The load center is usually along the floorline. Dark brown or black and about 18" square. Might be on the bed pedestal. Usually WFCO product.

Do not see anything like an 18" square panel . The bed pedestal is on a slide out and not on that.
It doesn't click or try to come on

It has a cover that you open up. Some that have a stand alone converter have just the breakers and fuses. They are about 18" wide but not so tall. Has to be there someplace. Those aren't that big.

Looks like we found something in the bathroom that could be it. Will check it out.
All the breakers look OK, would it be a fuse that needs to be replaced and how do we know whack one?
Would it hurt anything to turn all the breakers off and on again?

No, but the furnace is a 12 VDC powered unit. Get a 12 VDC test light at a hardware or automotive store and keep it in your coach. Abut $5 or so and easy to use. Great for testing fuses. Must better than pulling them out and trying to see if they look good.

OK, thanks for your help. We'll get the tester.

You are most welcome! One of the most common problems on these later furnaces is that the blower relay on the control board goes bad. These are made in China and poor quality. I only sell the upgraded version made by Dinosaur Electronics here in the U.S. for that reason. If you have an outside access door over the furnace this is easy to get to. If not, the furnace has to be pulled out to get to it. I will get you a copy of the Suburban Furnace Service Manual as soon as I can get to my computer.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification