Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Classic it seems Dometic shutdown after a few minutes.

Classic it seems Dometic shutdown after a few minutes. RM3663 circa 2002. Used to be sporadic, but now persistent, except last night I reset it at 2 AM and it ran till about 11 AM. RV has been unused for a few years until now.
JA: What year is your Classic?
Customer: Camper is 2002 so I guess the fridge is the same.
JA: Are you fixing your Classic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm camped in Yellowstone and am a fair mechanic, but no idea here. Took off the back cover and wiggled all terminals.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything I haven't said earlier.

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

When you say shuts down are you losing ALL power to the fridge, the display panel and inside light are not coming ON? How did you reset it? By turning it off and then back ON???

Robert

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Check light comes on. If I power off and on it works for another few minutes before the same thing happens.

OK

Got it, give me a few mins to type a response and going to get you a service manual which should help.....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No phone coverage here in the campground with my carrier..

So the check light means the flame went out and this could be a number of things. When you troubleshoot these it is a process of elimination.

Right off the bat I would do a few things, get an air nozzle and blow out the burner tube really good, the burner tube sits below the electrode or what sparks, sometimes debris can get inside and cause issues with it lighting off or with the flame going out. Make sure it is clear and clean.

Make sure the electrode which sits above the burner tube is about 3/16" over the burn tube. I might also remove the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol.

After that it gets a bit more complex, my guess would be the thermocouple and that is the first part I would replace. Make sure the DC voltage going into the terminal block is also around 12 volts, low voltage can cause these to shut down.

To help you more on this click HERE and see page 12 for check light ON and then you can look in the manual at each component that is metioned.

Hope this points you in the right direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page....

Also want to mention the LP it really should be checked yearly with a manometer to see what the operating pressure is, would be hard for you to check without that tool, so you may have to skip that part. In the shop it is a 15-30 min check.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's not obvious how to get to the burner, but I'll look harder. Limited tools here. Maybe the manual will help. I can make a manometer with clear tubing and water. Done it before. Thanks.

OK.

Yes the burner tube is under the outside access panel and may have a small metal cover with a single screw holding it on.....

Let me know if you need more help on this. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page