RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 2014 bounder the stairs will not retract in less we

have AC power via gen...
I have a 2014 bounder the stairs will not retract in less we have AC power via gen or pluged in
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: I should have said 110 not AC
JA: What is the model of your '14 RV?
Customer: fleedtwood bounder
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I know it has to bee a relay just not sure which one or where
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time
8/20/2017
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

IF the steps only work when you are plugged into AC power or running the generator check your battery voltages, you could have a weak battery. When you are plugged into power the power converter will take the AC voltage and charge the battery, when you unplug you are only running off of battery power. So I would go to the batteries and check both the house and chassis battery and make sure you have over 12 volts, if the voltage goes below 11 volts the step may not want to work. I am not aware of any relay that would only allow the steps to work when you have AC power as the steps operate on DC power so I would be checking the batteries and cables to start off on this and then go from there.

Hope this points you in the right direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.....

Robert

they were running the pump and lights without with out ac power

I would still get a meter and check both the house and chassis batteries, not sure if the step is wired to the house or starting battery. IF the voltage is under 11 volts then it would be an issue, should be a simple check to eliminate a low voltage issue for the step. When you are plugged in you should be getting max DC voltage via the converter. Step might be tied to the starting battery if all the house items worked when you were unplugged.

Robert

with the engine running they will extend but not retract unless you start the gen

OK if you extend the step and then start the ignition will they run in???? They should have an ignition override, meaning if they are out and you start the the ignition they should automatically run in......

Robert

No they stay out until I start the Gen then they retract

OK

Do you have a step switch and have you tried both positions with the step out when you start the ignition?

DO you know the manufacture of the step??

Robert

there is a switch it has a light in it does not light until you give it ac power

Do you happen to have the make and model of the step???

Robert

no I don't let me lool

OK...

This one is a head scratcher....

sticker on them says Kwikee the only number is ***** part number(###) ###-####

OK

Let me check....

So that is there "platinum" series step, click HERE to have a look that should be yours, normally the circuit will have two fuses, one for the ignition over-ride and one for the main power hook up, you can check for voltage on the yellow wire with the ignition switch on, if that wire has no power then I suspect you have a blow fuse, if that wire does have power then I suspect the control box for the step is faulty, check all the wiring under the step, make sure the main ground is clean and tight. I tend to think the problem might be in the control box for the step. The step should run in when you turn the ignition switch ON.... IF that is not happening the signal is lost or that control box is bad.

Hope this helps some.

IF you would like to try another expert on this please let me know, my goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts I only get credit when you select a STAR rating on the page.

Robert

the other reason I'm not sure its the house battery is the gen cranks and starts and it is wired to the house battery

Right you have 2 sources for the step, the ignition for the ignition over-ride and the main power source from house battery. It sounds like the ignition side is the problem as the step should be running in when you turn the ignition key ON and the step is out, I think that is the key here. I would look at the info I sent and see if the yellow wire has voltage before and after turning the ignition switch on.... The problem could be a blown fuse on that circuit or the control box for the step....

Robert

There is a black control box attached to the steps that all wires go thought I wonder if that is the problem

That sounds like the control box and it could be the issue here. In the manual I sent it shows it on page 3.....Picture to the right,

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Well that is where I am going to start thanks Dan

No problem, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

Thanks, Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic