Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Had my 05 fleetwood excursion checked out because the stop

had my 05 fleetwood excursion checked out because the stop egine check engine warning activated twice within a*****between la and san diego. the on board computer check revealed a loss of power module. but it was reset and engine has not set off warning system again recommendation was to take it to a CAT dealer
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: i will get the codes when i pick up the rig tomorrow
JA: I'll pass this info along to the RV Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no i will have it done by a tech
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no ty

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

This is a difficult one but if the check engine warning came on and the on-board computer said loss of power module it can be voltage related, it could be a loose connection on the circuit or even if one of the battery cables was loose or corroded. I have seen some cases where the cables appear to be tight but you can pull them off by hand, so make sure they are tight. IF the voltage was cutting off for a split second the electronics can get confused and the first thing you would see before anything else is the warning lights, it could be in the main harness as well for the engine computer so that should also be inspected.

Having the codes will take all the guess work out and save time and money in the long run and is smart to have them pulled.

Let me know if you need more help on this...

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got the code type. It is Code 31 PID 84 FMI 1

Not sure on that number normally you will have a MID, PID and FMI number if it is the engine it would be 128 84 1

MID 128 Engine

PID 84 Road Speed

FMI 1 Data Valid but below normal operational range

This fault is set active when the ECM loses a vehicle speed signal when other engine conditions indicate the vehicle is moving. The fault can also become active if there is a series of clutch, service brake or throttle movements with no vehicle movement. The fault is set inactive when the ECM receives a vehicle speed signal greater than zero. Possible causes are a failed VSS, (vehicle speed sensor) broken wire in the circuit etc...

I am assuming the the MID is the 128 for the engine.

Hope this helps out, a shop should be able to track this down. Robert