RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

THE REFRIGERATOR IS NOT COOLING NO MATTER THE POSION OF THE…

Customer Question
THE REFRIGERATOR IS NOT...

THE REFRIGERATOR IS NOT COOLING NO MATTER THE POSION OF THE THERMISTOR, HOWEVER THE FREEZER SEEMS TO BE WORKING OK. SAME SYMPTOMS FOR GAS AND ELECTRIC,

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

THAT IS NOT RESPONSIVE TO QUESTION

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2006 FORD TYPE C MOTORHOME COACHMEN

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES, CHECKED FUSES, AIRWAY CIRC. COILS, HEATING ELEMENT, GAS VALVE, CONTROLS

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/7/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 5 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Is the fridge level? And may I have the make and model of this fridge?

SURE WHAT IS DO YOU NEED TO KNOW

Did you miss my response and questions?

IT IS LEVEL DOOR SEALS GOOD, IT IS A DOMETIC, AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL ONE MOMENT I WILL GET THE MODEL NUMBER

Open up the outside inspection cover and see if you can see any yellowish debris around the base of the burner area.

NO LEAK OF ANY KIND, NO ODOR. MODEL DM2652COIL AND CIRC. TUBING ARE HOT TO THE TOUCH, UNIT IS CLEAN, HEATING ELEMENT IS OK, FIRE IS BURNING BRIGHT BLUE, HAVE ADJUSTED THE THERMISTOR SEVERAL TIMES WITH NO LUCK, IT WILL COOL IN THE REFRIDGE FOR A COUPLE HRS. THEN HEAT UP, FREEZER CONTINUES TO WORK

T​hat sounds like a failed cooling unit, but disconnect the thermistor on the control board and give it a few hours. Bottom plug on top left hand corner. Two wires. See the attached manual link for a copy of the Service Manual. Print that out so you have it. http://www.fourwh.com/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf

OK, THIS IS ACTUALLY THE SECOND ONE I HAVE TO DO THIS, COULD IT BE THE THERMISTOR AT ALL

Hard to tell at this point. Testing is the only way to really tell. See testing that in the manual. You need a small glass of ice water and a small digital multimeter. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use.

GOT THE ICE WATER
HAVE ELECTRIC METERS,

See that section of the manual. Submerse the thermistor in the ice water for about 5 minutes and then take an ohms reading at the plug. It should read between 7K and 10K ohms.

J​ust checking back in to see how the testing came out on the thermistor?

Well,. I checked the thermiater,. Had 7.4 ohms. The freezer was at 28 * refrigerator was at 65*,. After change out. Freezer is at 10- 15* and refrigerator is at 43*. Burner works good,. Heating element checks ok,. Fuses check ok,. Everything seems to work as it should except the cooling. Could are clean, no fan between top and bottom of unit.

Is this on LP or AC mode?

Either one,. Makes no difference.

That is usually due to improper installation and venting. See the Service Manual for that information. And this may have been installed without insulation. Is it in a slideout or not? And where on the fins did you mount the thermistor?

It is in a slide,. It is insulted, top right side

Slideout installations are extremely critical. Most are not done correctly. With the top vent out, can you see underneath the fins on the condenser?

The condenser is mounted to the top back,. Lots of air space and insulation up both sides

T​he distance from the wall to the coils has to be less than 1/4" on the bottom. On top there can be nothing or a gap between the vent and the bottom of the condenser as that air from below has to come up through the condenser before it exits the vent. There can be no void area above the vent. There has to be a curved piece of aluminum attached to the top of the fridge above the condenser and curved so that it directs the hot air out smoothly and attaches to the upper lip of the vent. Insulation has to be all around that area on both sides and the top. A vent fan is helpful here. Dometic makes a fan kit to assist in the air flow. How does yours stack up? And did you move the thermistor to the top of the fins?

The thermiater is at top right. No gap at top,. No dampber on top of coils,. This installation is original from factory

And as I mentioned, most are not done correctly. If you aren't sure of this attach a photo of the area looking directly into the upper vent so I can see what it looks like.

Just checking back in to see if there was any change in this? If not, I still think the installation is the problem.