peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

Abs light on, speedometer not working, won't shift gear's,

Customer Question

Abs light on, speedometer not working, won't shift gear's, but can change gear's manually.1994 Chevy 305, Turbo Hydro matic trans.on D30 Frame.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: ABS anti lock!
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not got ANY one too try too work on it because it is 25' Motor home! One person said to check speed ometor senor.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can change gear's with lever from 1st. thru drive.
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

With what is occuring here this does sound like a fault with the vehicle speed sensor.If this sensor fails on the transmission or output shaft this will cause the anti lock brake light and speedo issue.This also causes the transmission to shift incorrectly or not at all as the computer cannot see what speed it is at to allow solenoids to operate properly in the transmission.

The speed sensor is usually at the tail shaft of the transmission on allot of models.Check and see if any wiring damage is found and if it is found to be o.k. the sensor itself may need replaced.Unfortunately my info is not showing me a picture of this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete