Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We are having starting issues .i believe it has to do with

Customer Question

we are having starting issues .i believe it has to do with the isolator selinoid .we have a coach battery and it has a regular battery positive cable and a second smaller wire .does that hook to the positive also .
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes .when i tap the isolator box then the rv starts . the sli battery reads ch
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: charged
JA: What year is your RV?
Customer: 1979 dodge sportsman
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we have driven it , without many issues .we went camping this weekend and we were going to hook up the coach battery and charge it but the charger said something was connected and shut off ...then when we went to start it it was just dead no click of silinoid .or anything .sli battery said full charge .cleaned battery cables and it started .stopped and started it 2-3 times on the way home did fine .went to start it again ...nothing ....all lights worked ...didnt dim .tapped the isolator swich and it started
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it stalled / died a couple times while driving
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

S​tart by having the alternator checked. It may not be putting out the correct DC voltage to the isolator. If it does, then you can check the outgoing voltage to the battery(s) and see if that is correct. It should be near 14 VDC and you can use a small digital multimeter to check that. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

On the coach battery does the positive and the smaller wire connest to the positive ?

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

What color is the smaller wire?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Black

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Probably a positive lead. Where does it come from or can you tell?