RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Blew out a tire on the right rear. Destroyed the tool box…

Customer Question
Blew out a tire...

Blew out a tire on the right rear. Destroyed the tool box and the wiring. Got the furnace to work but now can't get the a/c to work. Any help is appreciated.

Mechanic's Assistant: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?

No not at all. We've actually only had it for a little over a year. No problems before the blowout

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2003 Keystone raptor fifth wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Like I originally said, I got the furnace to work. But now can't get the A/C to run

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I know of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
8/7/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

The A/C and furnace share the same positive feed. Do you have a separate thermostat for the furnace or are they both on the same one?

They are on the same thermostat

Then it must be something in the AC side of the power unless the thermostat was damaged.

I​f the furnace works then the thermostat is getting the needed DC voltage. Check the service breaker for the A/C as that may have been tripped in the process.

Don't know about that. Like I was saying. I got the furnace to kick on and heat up. I check the power strip on the actual ac unit. It seems to have the proper amount of voltage on ac and dc sides.
All the breakers and fuses are good.

If there was a short in the furnace circuit it may have damaged the thermostat. If all else seems good that is the most likely cause here. Is this a Single Zone thermostat?

Not really sure what you mean by that. But I would say yes. Is there a way to check the thermostat with a meter or test light? To see if it is functioning properly?

It might be difficult, but it can be done. You would have to see if there is any signal on the comm wire AT the control board in the A/C when you ask for "Hi Cool" and that might tell you. In the shop it just takes a few minutes to change one out so we do it that way. These thermostats are not that expensive.

Ok. I will order a thermostat and try that. Thank.

Order the whole kit just in case it is the control module. Always good to have a few spare parts around for an emergency.