RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have an onan marques 7000 that is not sparking at the

Customer Question
spark plug. JA: What's the make/model/year...
I have an onan marques 7000 that is not sparking at the spark plug.
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: It is a used gen put into my 1990 bounder 36 ft
JA: What is the model of your '90 RV?
Customer: Guy putting it in has replaced rotar, volt reg, plug board.
JA: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Bounder
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It should have said plug and board.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
8/6/2017
RV Mechanic: Wayne, RV Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Wayne, RV Mechanic

Hi I'm Wayne

I will try to help you with this

is this gas or diesel,

RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 3 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

I am a certified Onan technician, and am fully qualified. I realize that this is a gas model, just due to the fact that it has spark plugs.

First, test the positive terminal of the coil for 12V while cranking the engine. If you do not have 12V, you have a bad control board, or a broken wire between the control board and coil.

If you have 12V, here is what you need to do.

Disconnect the red and black ignition module wires from the terminals of the coil.
Run a 12V jumper to the red wire of the ignition module. Set your meter to VDC and connect the black meter lead to a good ground.
Connect the red meter lead to the black wire coming from the ignition module.
Using a 3/8" Allen wrench in the rotor through bolt located in the center of the right hand side of the set, slowly turn the engine counter clockwise as viewed from the right end. The meter should read 12V for 1/2 revolution and drop to about 1V for the other half revolution. Turn the motor through at least 3 full revolutions.

What happens?

If you don't get a full 12V for 1/2 revolution, but the voltage does for the other 1/2 revolution, the ignition module is bad.

If the voltage doesn't read a full 12V, but does change, the ignition rotor is probably broken.

First, remove the (2) 5/16” screws that secure the ignition module to the top of the generator housing, being very careful not to drop the screws inside. If they fall in, the generator MUST be pulled to remove them. They will do a lot of damage if the set is started with them inside.
There is a trick to getting the module out. The flywheel has fins on it to move cooling air across the generator. One of these fins is shorter than the others. The engine must be rotated so this shorter fin is at the top of the flywheel. Depending on how your set is mounted, it can be very difficult to see down in there, and I often have to use a small flashlight and inspection mirror.
Once this short fin is at the top of the flywheel, the module can be removed. It is a very tight fit, but it will come out. Pay strict attention to how the wires are routed in relation to the module. If the wires are not reinstalled EXACTLY as they are, either the module will not fit when putting it back in, or the wires will be hanging in the way of the flywheel and will get cut.
Once the module is out, simply disconnect the 2 wires from the coil.
After the module is out, we need to inspect the ignition rotor for damage. The rotor is a long piece of plastic that snaps onto the crankshaft, and has a magnet at each end. The magnets are what open and close the contacts in the module.
Looking down into the hole, turn the engine so one of the ‘arms’ of the module is straight up. Stick your finger down into the hole, and press sideways (rotational) with about the same amount of pressure you would need to slide an empty coffee cup across a table. Turn the engine 180 degrees and test the other arm in the same manner.
The arms should not move. If they do, the rotor is cracked and must be replaced.
If the rotor is OK, just change the ignition module.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Hello, was this what you wanted to know?

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets