RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 1990 Atwood HWT that keeps shutting off after less…

Customer Question
I have a 1990...

I have a 1990 Atwood HWT that keeps shutting off after less than a minute of heating. Tried and checked the main regulator and the inside stove for flame character--pure blue!! On the HWT, the pilot light is more yellow than blue but the burner is pure blue and sounds like a jet engine when burning. But it keeps shutting down in less than a minute after lighting--your thoughts??

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

??? I am talking about the hot water heating unit?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Pilot?

The unit is a 1990 Atwood, regulator was replaced two years ago due to this problem but it did not solve the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix my self. I have checked the main pressure regulator. The regulator on the HWT is not adjustable. All pathways are clear. There is an audible "click" when the unit shuts down.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
8/6/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

What is the model number of your water heater? The data tag should be visible when you open up the outside inspection cover where the burner is. Once I know that I can direct you further here. And sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question. I was out all afternoon and just got home. Perhaps others were off as well. I will watch for your post..........

Model#G6A6

Please see the attached link for a copy of the Atwood Service Manual for these. Print this out so you have it. That sounds like a thermocouple issue. Loosen it up at the gas valve and resnug it. Finger tight and then 1/4 turn. Be sure that the end of it is fully engulfed in the flame. It may be out of adjustment. Let me know what happens as all follow ups are included in our fee. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf