Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a Winnebago Winnie Drop Travel Trailer (Model WD170K)

Customer Question

I have a Winnebago Winnie Drop Travel Trailer (Model WD170K) with an in-roof Dometic AC rated at 13.5. Inside the trailer is a thermostat that I thought was only for the furnace. My question is does this thermostat also control the AC unit which might explain why the unit is not cooling even thought I have it turned on high?
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: NO. I was told by an RV service dealer that the unit is sealed and that they cannot check the level or add freon.
JA: What is the model of your '13 RV?
Customer: Winebago Winnie Drop Model WD170K. Spec sheet says 13.5 in-roof AC. I have no other documentation on the AC unit. Trailer is almost I year old. AC unit worked great last summer the one time I used it.
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I assume the AC unit is still under warranty so do not want to mess with it myself particularly if the thermostat setting is the only issue and the Unit is otherwise OK.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Main question is if an improper thermostat setting would cause the unit not to cool even when operating and the unit controls are turned on high.
Category: RV
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

If the AC unit has knobs on it, then you control the unit via those knobs. If there are no knobs on the AC unit in the roof then it is controlled via the thermostat on the wall.

A knob style unit which is quite often the auxiliary HVAC it will have a hot to cold knob and settings like off, low cool, high cool, low fan, high fan, low heat, high heat. Not all models have the heat strip option.

On a thermostat style the thermostat normally has off, heat, cool, fan, a temp slider, then settings for on or auto.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris