RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My ceiling lights in bathroom, and bedroom as well as

Customer Question
reading lights on both walls...
My ceiling lights in bathroom, and bedroom as well as reading lights on both walls will not work. Outlets work and night lights at floor all work. Suggestions
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
All breakers are "on" flat fuses seem to all be good as I have swaped them around and they work.
8/5/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

What you need Randal

When this happens to so many at one time the problem is usually in the ground side rather than the positive feed current. In the shop we make up a "test ground" and add that at some place in the string and see if that corrects this. Then you can add another one or two and resolve it that way. Use a length of wire with an alligator clip on each end for that. A 12 VDC test light is helpful here as well. About $5 or so at most hardware stores. Hope that points you in the right direction. The wiring diagrams are available on the Winnebago website and those can show how all these are hooked together. Hope that helps. Please get back to me if you need more on this as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Is there anywhere I can see where the current grounds are? This has just occurred in last few weeks. Seems odd that an outlet at very rear in center works but ceiling and side lights do not

Most lights are 12 VDC and not 120 VAC. They have a separate grounding system, even though they do come together in the end. Did you get the diagrams?

I have not gotten the diagrams yet. I'm driving right now

10-4

Randall, attached is the 12 volt wiring diagram. Like I said I have no lights in the bathroom, the ceiling in the rear bedroom, or the side light over the beds. Since you are the expert, I'd ask that you take a look at these and then tell me where on them to look. I will not be back at the coach until this coming weekend.

I​t appears that there are two grounding bars. One shows below the fridge and the others is behind the rear shower wall. Not sure how that is accessed. It would appear that that one is for the lights, but I would check both. You may have to add a ground lead to that light circuit. That is usually easiest to do connecting to the A/C unit through the ceiling opening. I think explaining this to you via a phone chat would be the best. Optional for sure.

I agree with the phone chat but it will do me no good until I'm at the coach which is 2 hours and 120 mikes away. I'll be there this weekend and we can set something up. I'll reach out to a winnebago shop nd see if they ahve any suggestions on getting to the ground block behind the shower.

O.K........I should be around all week-end.