Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

When I go off shore power my unit does not switch to battery

Customer Question

when I go off shore power my unit does not switch to battery and propane
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: they are charged. I have check them. They are both less than 3 months old
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2011 Keystone Fuzion toy hauler
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to see if it is something I can do. I have checked breakers and fuses. This why new batteries I thought last time I used it that was the problem since they were over 6 years old
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

When you are plugged into power the power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage, when you unplug the converter switches over to battery power.

Sometimes you will find a breaker near the battery, below is a picture, I am not sure if you checked this area. The breaker would be 18" from the battery and can be on the frame, if you see any at all each post should have the same voltage to chassis ground if one side reads much higher then it is the problem. Most have a tiny tab on them that will pop out when they trip.

Also if you have a manual battery disconnect switch I would make sure you have voltage going in and out of the switch on the large cables, try and follow the path of power.

IF you do not have a breaker in-line and the disconnect is good then I suspect the converter could be at fault.

Hope this helps out, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.....

Robert

Breaker.....

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you still need more help on this, I am around daily and respond when I can...

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Robert