RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

Trouble with the electricity coming in from the pole into my

Customer Question
I'm Having trouble with the...
I'm Having trouble with the electricity coming in from the pole into my trailer. I can run off the battery but it does not seem to run off the outside pole. Is there something I need to do
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I don't have a volt meter
JA: What year is your Volt?
Customer: I'm sorry I'm kinda new at this. Not sure what you mean
JA: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I unplugged the power cord from the pole re plugged it. There is a tiny blue light on the cord that comes on. Does this mean the cord is working?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: RV
8/5/2017
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the Year, Make and Model of the RV???

Are you trying to plug into a standard household outlet OR are you using any cords or adapters OR are you plugged into the pole direct NO cords or adapters?

Thanks, Robert

2013 Winnebago One travel traile

OK...

ARE you plugged into a standard household outlet OR using any plugs OR adapters on the main cord?????

ROBERT

I am plugged into a pole

I understand that..... the MAIN cord ARE you using an adapter to plug into a standard household outlet???

IF you want to do a call I can send you a request for that, might be better.

ROBERT

Using a power cord that plugs into my rv
No
I do have a adapter though and the pole does have 112 plug
I could try to use that
There is a switch on the inside of the trailer that I switched on
That says main switch

Hold on...... Are you plugged directly into the supply pole with NO adapters or extension cords??? Meaning the end of the cord has nothing on it, should be three or four prong..

I am plugged directly into the power pole

Thank You for that...... One more question is this at a Camp Ground or your house????

Thanks, Robert

At a campground

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response since I have a better idea of what is going on... Respond shortly.

The trailer runs fine off the truck battery

When you are plugged into power you should have ALL the AC power that would be ALL the outlets, TV's and microwave. IF they are not working it could be an issue with the supply pole, the shore cord, a tripped breaker in the breaker panel OR a wiring issue from the cord to breaker panel, that cord will come right into the breaker panel in one continuous cable.

So to start try a different supply pole if at all possible and check for a breaker on the supply post. Have to rule the supply source first.

Go to your main breaker panel inside and shut OFF all the breakers and turn them on one at a time, sometimes a breaker can trip and not look like it.

Go around the RV and make sure you do not have any GFI's that are tripped. These will be outlets with a test and reset on them.....

Beyond that you are looking at a problem with the cord or a connection issue at the breaker panel.

IF you HAVE the AC power the microwave, TV'S and outlets are working please let me know ASAP.......

Robert

The system is split, AC power and DC power. IF you do not have the AC power then the power converter is not going to make the DC power.

IF you have the AC power but are missing the DC power then you could have a power converter problem.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.....

ROBERT

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Thanks, Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic