RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a duo therm roof top air conditioner and I would like…

Customer Question
I have a duo...

I have a duo therm roof top air conditioner and I would like to know what kind of freon does it take

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your RV. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I bought a bullet piercing valve

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
8/5/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 11 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

It depends on what year they were built. And that won't solve the problem here. These are sealed systems as I suspect you know already and you would need to find the leak and repair that first and install ports so the unit can be pumped out with a vacuum pump first and then the proper refrigerant added to the proper amount. Many HVAC techs don't like to work on these. With the cost of a new one around $500 or less, you can approach that pretty quickly in repair costs. Hope that gives you some direction here. If you need more please get back to me as all follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

I'm guessing that the trailer is 2006 or newer. What kind of freon is in it and I already have the piercing valve. I cleaned the unit up and resealed with ss. tape. The unit blows cool air but not cold enough. I would like to add freon and some sealer
Not calling

I think that would have had 134A in it. I doubt this will work, but I suppose you can give it a shot. Piercing valves never seem to hold over the long term.

What year did they start putting 134a in the air conditioners

I don't know for sure due to the fact that these are sealed units and we never bother trying to repair them. I can find out on Monday for you when I get to my shop. It might have been still R-22 as that was used for a long time. See the attached link to a copy of the Domectic Service Manual. It discusses that in there. Hard to get R-22 someplaces. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/acservice.pdf

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier response to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!