RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Do you know where the 12v converter is on a 2007 gulf stream…

Customer Question
Do you know where...

Do you know where the 12v converter is on a 2007 gulf stream friendship g8

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your G8?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your G8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The 12v is dropping down to about 5v dc at the thermostat, i don't know if it's the stat or a loose wire, cause the acs work on and off

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

The acs work fine, i need to know where the converter is

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
8/5/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, what do you need?

Some are integral with the load center and some are a stand alone unit. Get back to me with that make and model of your load center and I can give you more here. And I would have the batteries load tested to be sure that they are viable. It may be more in those or the cables than the converter. You can test the converter with a small digital multimeter. This should put out about 13.7 VDC at the batteries. Most places that sell batteries can load test them for you. Just be sure you mark the cables well or take a photo of the hookup as it is easy to get this wrong if you don't. All follow ups are included in our fee and there is no time limit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, that's the problem, I can't find the converter.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When you say ;oad center, are you talking about the ems distribution panel?

What is the make and model of your load center where all the fuse and breakers are? Many are integral with that. I can tell you more once I know what you have.

Maybe you have an inverter/charger.........

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Intellitec Model 800

If you have 4 house batteries you will have an inverter/charger in this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct, but the owners manual says I also have a converter

The "Load Center" is where you find all the fuses and 120 VAC breakers in most coaches. Manuals are not always correct! The are very generic most of the time and fit a number of models.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then where is the 12v supply coming from, at the distribution panel I have 12v and at the stat I have maybe 5

An inverter/charger works the same way as a converter except it can take 12 VDC and turn it into 120 VAC. Do you have a 30 amp cord or a 50 amp cord?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I unplug the stat, it jumps up to 12., but I'm not sure if it's the stat or a loose wire bad ground, the ac's work when they want too.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
50
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
evidently the voltage up back to 12v periodicity

M​aybe that is where the problem is. And almost every RV with a 50 amp cord has an inverter/charger and they are usually right above or next to the house batteries. I would start by load testing the batteries here first. Rule that out and then go to the next step. Most places that sell batteries can load test them for you. Be sure and mark the cable or take a photo of the hookups as it is easy to get this wrong if you don't.

And test the output there and see if you have about 13.8 VDC at the batteries.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The batteries are new and fully charged, everything else works fine, only the reduced voltage at the stat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already tested the voltage at the batteries and it was fine.

Then find out why with your meter. It isn't going to be the inverter if all else works fine. Either the thermostat is bad or the wiring coming to it is loose or has some corrosion issues. I have to go out so I will turn this over to another tech if one is available. They come and go daily so I don't know when that might be. I will be back on in the morning.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would really like to get this down to either the stat or something else, the stat isn't cheap and I have to go to NJ to get it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thank you for your help

I was gone all day yesterday and I see nobody picked up on this. That may have been due to not having a different solution. What is the make and style of your thermostat? If a digital model it would be helpful to know exactly which one and attaching a photo would be helpful here. Use the paperclip icon.

J​ust following up to see if perhaps you missed my earlier response to your question? Easy to do considering the volume of e-mail that most of us get every day! If you need me to resend it please let know. Thanks!