RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

Every trip, third day out, the black tank seems to vent into…

Customer Question
Every trip, third day...

Every trip, third day out, the black tank seems to vent into the coach.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2016 Jayco Precast 35 S

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '16 RV?

Precept 35 s

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I removed and replaced a vent looking thing under the sink, but I think its for the GRAY tank

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

what do you need?

W​hat kind of chemical are you using in the Black Tank? I have found that Happy Camper products are the best and the least expensive. You can buy them on Amazon or from the manufacturer if you can't get them from your local dealer. I am adding a link to that for you. This should solve the smell problems. https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Camper-Holding-Treatment-Organic/dp/B007ZRLQKE/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_tr_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FZ8W48VQS3KNEPQPN9ZS

we tried different powders (orange and green) and a blue liquid they gave us at the dealer..NOTHING works, Im thinking the black vent is plugged or something.I park it in a garage when not in use and the garage never stinks, it just stinks INSIDE the coach.

Wasps like to get into the vents up on top and build nests. Even so, Happy Camper will kill any smell and it is totally "green" so it is a great product. Clean out the tank good when you get back with their Extreme Cleaner. I have never had any of my shop customers change back to anything else.

after every 4th day, I dump with a macerator, and use the sprayer in the tank. it's clean. there are no bees.

O.K........maybe have a shop inspect this for you. I have been here about 16 hours today and calling it a night. I will opt out of this and see if another tech might have a different idea. Not sure if any are working this late.

interesting that I PAY for someone to help and I get a salesman for soap who complains about working long hours..NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!! Bye!
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Try this for me. Climb up on the roof and remove the vent cover for the black tank. Open your drain for the black tank. Now use a garden hose to run water down the roof vent to see if it flows easily, it may have toilet paper packed in it somewhere preventing air flow to escape and take your black tank fumes to the roof.

Another thing to try, you may have a corner of your black tank gunked up with _____. With the tank empty and washed out clean. Add 1 cup of bleach to the toilet, one tablespoon of dawn dish soap, one gallon of cold water, and one large bag of ice. Now go for a*****with some stop and go and turns. Then drain the tank and see if anything besides soapy water comes out.

Let me know the outcome.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Did you get a chance to try the steps I outlined?

Chris

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic