Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a Penguin II HP. When thermostat calls for cool unit

Customer Question

Hello. I have a Penguin II HP. When thermostat calls for cool unit comes on but after a few minutes the condenser/supply fan shuts off on thermo overload. Gets really hot to the touch. compressor continues to run. To avoid damage I shut the unit off. Any idea what is causing it
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: Forest River Berkshire 2011
JA: What is the model of your '11 RV?
Customer: 390bh
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. The unit is out of warranty. Do have technical expertise and electrical knowledge to do so. The condenser/supply fan has 3 120v supply inputs - for slow, medium,high speeds. All 3 have 120v at the same time. Don't think this is correct. Could it be the control board ?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like the motor is failing. I am seeing more and more of these lately including some in my own shop. The only other thing would be a failing run capacitor and that can be checked with a multimeter to see if that is failing. If you can check that it would narrow this down. Let me know what you find and we can go from there. When you respond, please include the model number off the data tag so I can get you the correct part numbers for any repairs. All follow ups are included in our fee.