RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

Randall. I'm having issues with the 12volt side of my toy…

Customer Question
Hi Randall. I'm having...
Hi Randall. I'm having issues with the 12volt side of my toy trailer. I would like your help please
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
8/1/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

What is the problem you are having? Please give as much detail as you can. Thanks!

Hi Randall. Similar to the problem you helped another user with. My 12v power inside the coach just stopped working. I have interior lights when I hook up to shore power, when I run the generator, and when I run the inverter. However, when I try to just run off batteries, nada.
I have 12.6-7 volts at the batteries. I'm running 4-6v in parallel and series. Batteries are new, and are charging at 14.7v off generator. Looked EVERYWHERE for a fuse or breaker somewhere between the batteries and the distribution panel, but alas I am stymied.

If the disconnect solenoid switch is working fine, then the next most likely problem is if there is a shortstop breaker that might be tripped. See the attached photo link. Small black button on the end. Push in to reset. Sometimes these have a red rubber cover over them. Let me know what you find. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=BqT81%2fi2&id=8D4939A7F0965679E3E29C89B963B0D9C24CDC15&thid=OIP.BqT81_i2snOEu0WIlAltMAEsEY&q=shortstop+breaker+photo&simid=608020010426568081&selectedIndex=0

Hi. I won't be back to the coach until tomorrow...but there are two of those "breakers" next to my batteries, and I asked my wife to check for a reset button today but she said she couldn't see/feel Amy on them. I did test them, and I am getting power to both sides and there is continuity. Which disconnect solenoid are you referring to?

T​he button (if they have one) as some are auto reset versions, is on the end with the copper post and can be hard to see due to the wiring being in the way. Some of these larger units have a disconnect switch or solenoid powered disconnect like a motorized unit.

There is a red plastic key type disconnect switch remotely mounted away from the batteries which I tested and it also appears to be working properly. Good continuity between the two terminals. I will check it tomorrow for voltage, and also re-check the incoming d/c voltage at the distribution panel to see if I'm getting Amy power there. If I am, then I can assume it's somewhere in the distribution panel. Possibly converter transfer switch? If not, back to the batteries and try to trace the wires back to the distribution panel.Maybe I'll get lucky, and the wife just didn't see the reset buttons on the short stop breakers.
I didn't mention, but I have 12v power at the front control panel where the slides/awnings/gen start are. Everything working properly there. However the rear distribution panel is not seeing power.

You have to remember that continuity is not necessarily the same as passing good voltage under load. Even a meter sometimes can give a false impression. Only under a load is the actual voltage that you read really significant. The transfer switch is only for the AC power.

Ok. If it's ok, I'll contact you again tomorrow when I'm with the trailer, and maybe I can give you some voltage readings and we can diagnose where the problem lies? ����

10-4

I definitely need your help today...hence my last message

I think a phone chat would be faster and more direct here........

Ok. I'll give you a call when I get up to the trailer ����

10--4

Any progress on this problem?

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification