Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Getting lots of condensation dripping inside from my duo

Customer Question

Getting lots of condensation dripping inside from my duo therm air conditioner. I assume its a drain problem. Wondering how to clear the drain. Can you help. 2005 Airstream Intl. CCD 28.5'.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: No. How does that impact condensation?
JA: What is the model of your '05 RV?
Customer: As indicated, International CCD.
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Are you reading my messages?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so.
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Usually the drain has to be cleaned from on the roof.It is usually a tray and drain port that needs cleaned out.On most models the ac cover has to be removed to clean this out as shown below.This needs done carefully while up on the roof and if possible is best to have a repair technician clean it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rx6rz33xqwh9ycf/d-07-31.png?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Makes sense to me. I'll try it. You don't need to stand by.

That sounds great.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can still come back here if needed even after a rating is left.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It appears the drain pan is behind the evaporator unlike the picture you sent me. How can I get to it to clear?

O.k.,some models are set up differently.

If you cannot access it with the cover off of the ac unit check for a baffle or secondary cover to access it.In some cases you can blow it out with air to clear it out when it is unable to be accessed as I have done before.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It appears the condensation catch traw is under the condenser. See photo. How do I get to that?

Unfortunately my info isnt showing how to access this myself here.You may have to remove some components to access it.If you can see the drain tube or drain line at all from the tray in some cases you can use mechanics wire or similar to free up and remove any debris in it to resolve a plugged drain port.But it is difficult to say for sure from here how to access this.If you would like I can open your question for others here to see if anyone else can help further just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess if you are not able to resolve my problem I'll want a refund or connected to some one who can. I believe I should get what I'm paying for, don't you agree?

I do agree.I will see if anyone else here can assist further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I understand the difficulty in dealing long distance. However i have what the aitstream manual describes as "the most popular duo therm air conditioner." I expect there must be folks who have lots of experience with this model.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have an RV shop and work on these all the time. Are you able to get up on the roof and take the cover off or not? I can direct you in getting the drain pan unplugged so it will quit dripping down into the coach.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have been on the roof. The drain pan is under the evaporator. I can't get to the drain port.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

You have to unscrew the cover and take it off so you can get into the pan and use the end of a wire clothes hanger to run through the hole and get it unplugged.