Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Not charging house battery d. While driving. 2004 Royal

Customer Question

Not charging house battery d
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: while driving
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2004 Royal Classic Class C
JA: Are you fixing your Classic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, replaced battery isolator. Verified alternator voltage at main battery bo
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: but not at isolator for house battery
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Is the battery disconnect switch hit for "Use" and not for "Store" so the batteries are in the charging loop?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Battery Disconnect is on as the RV electrical is functioning (lights, refrigerator, etc)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like to ask some questions online, then go perform testing, they come back to the case online. Will this work?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Sorry for the delay........was on a call.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No problem
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

You can follow up any time if you Bookmark this. A phone chat is available as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I explain my issue?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a Royal Classic RV 2004. My battery is not charging during driving. Removed house battery and had it tested. The 12 volt disconnect is on as RV electrical is functioning. Tested battery isolator, believe is was faulty and replaced it. When I run the truck engine, there is 12.3 volts on each side of the isolator. When I remove the isolator' excite wire, there is 12.3 volts on the battery side and 0 volts on the alternator side. The truck battery does have the alternator voltage present 14.4 volts.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The battery that is not charging while driving is the house battery. The truck battery works and charges fine. Also, the house battery charges fine on the generator. It does not charge while driving the RV.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My issue is that I do not read alternator voltage on both sides of the isolator nor at the house battery with the engine running.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

You should see more like the actual alternator voltage when the engine is running. Are you sure you have it hooked up correctly? What is the make and part number of that part you installed?

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

It takes over 13 VDC to fully charge a 12 VDC battery. Fully charged they should read about 12.8 VDC.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will need to get that info for you and then log back in and provide. Will that work ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can even provide a picture of old and new isolator
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Maybe just go to a continuous duty solenoid that works off the key switch and allow the alternator to provide the 14 VDC or so directly to the house batteries.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is a continuos duty isolator
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am missing the alternator voltage at the input of the isolator
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Maybe have the batteries load tested to be sure they are viable and not drawing down the voltage from an internal short. Then you need to find out why you aren't getting the voltage from the alternator. It may be failing. Testing it would show that.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Does that lead come directly from the alternator?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did load test the battery, it is less than 1 year old. Also, the isolator is the mechanical relay type with no diodes. My reason for calling in is how to troubleshoot that non working lead from the alternator to the isolator for the house battery. The truck battery sees the alternator voltage fine. Do you have access to schematics for my rig?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My RV is a 2005 Glendale Royal Classic with a Ford E450. I need help with the wiring between the house battery isolator and the alternator. Is there an inline fuse? Routing of the wiring. Are you able to help with this?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I don't have any access to those. You may need to get a good chassis manual from somebody like Faxon Automotive literature. Why didn't you want a sold state isolator?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The auto store advised me on the replacement isolator.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am sorry you cannot help me. Thanks anyway.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I request a refund please?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

I will ask them for you........