RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I own a 2007 Winnebago Chalet. It sits on a Ford E350

Customer Question
I own a 2007...

I own a 2007 Winnebago Chalet. It sits on a Ford E350 Superduty. We removed the 2 house batteries and plugged in The AC power and tripped something because now there is no power at all to the cabin. Did we make a major mistake? We plan to replaced the 2 house batteries with deep cycle batteries, but now we're wondering if we damaged something.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your E150?

It's an 2007 E350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
7/30/2017
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Y​ou don't want to try running anything without the house batteries. I would go ahead and get the new ones and install them. I hope you took a photo of the cables. Easy to get this wrong if you don't or make a good diagram. I like HD Interstate batteries and sell them in my shop. If these are 12 vDC batteries they are hooked up in parallel which is positive of the one to the positive of the other. Likewise on the negatives. If you have 6 VDC batteries they are hooked up in series connection which is the negative of one to the positive of the other so you have one 12 VDC "unit" consisting of two batteries. Positive cables get hooked up first and then the negative cable(s) last. Then hit the battery disconnect switch in the cabin and see if power is restored. Don't have the shore cord plugged in when you do this. Check the breakers in your load center after you plug in again to be sure none are tripped. Flip them off and then back on again. While you are out getting the batteries stop at a hardware store and get a small digital multimeter if you don't already have one. About $20 and easy to use. Very helpful for tracking down electrical problems on these units. I can direct you in some testing. Get back to me if you need more on this as all follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit.

Just following up here on your question. I am wondering if you perhaps missed my earlier response or did you get this resolved? Easy to do with the large amount of e-mail most of us get these days! If you need me to resend it, please let me know. Thanks

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification